Say you’re particularly stressed one day. Someone comes over and says, “Hey, I have a bunch of really useful stress-relieving items and I’d like you to have all you want – no charge.” Wouldn’t that take a load of stress off your shoulders?
Well, allow me to be that person for you today.
By reflecting on ‘free stuff’ we can be made more aware of the often neglected complimentary gifts that we receive for free every day.
Here are my musings on the subject:
- Physical activity – just moving my body, because some people can’t. It may be a dance, a stroll, exercise or a refreshing swim. It’s free to move my body, I do it because I can and for that I am grateful.
- Unlimited hugs – a boost of positive energy virtually any time I want it. I am lucky to have my mom, hubby, and two out of my three kids willing to hug me whenever I ask.
- Ideas – I love ideas, I get lots, I give lots, I share lots and some I just keep to myself. I appreciate my ideas, even if not everyone else does, because it verifies that I am a smart and creative being (and so are you!).
- Confidence – after writing that last statement, I am grateful that after a long time of not being confident I can, for the most part, be happy with who I am. Gaining confidence may not be simple, but it is free (and well worth it).
- Fresh air – if you’ve ever had a hard time getting your breath, you know what I’m talking about. If you’ve ever sucked in a big breath of outdoor air and exhaled a contented sigh after you’ve been cooped up all day, you know what I mean.
- Good conversation – all good things start with a conversation, whether it’s over a latte, during a walk or in the car. Good conversation can stimulate the mind, relax the body, connect strangers and reconnect friends.
- Thoughtfulness – you get joy from doing something special and unexpected for someone else or when a stranger serves you a random act of kindness.
As you go through your day, try to see it from behind the lens of appreciation for all the things you receive gratis, and see if it doesn’t decrease your stress level a tad.
Let us know what freebies you notice out there.