Winnipeg kids created their most outrageous, nutritious and delicious sandwiches and shared them on video. Now it’s your turn to vote and help determine the People’s Choice.
Dozens of Winnipeg kids responded to The Winnipeg Foundation’s quest for the best sandwich, submitting 56 videos in the inaugural Recipe for Success Video Cooking Contest.
To watch and vote, click here. You can vote once per day until March 28. The video with the most votes will be named People’s Choice and the team will win great prizes.
Recipes ranged from a waffle sandwich, to a turkey and cheese with a twist, to a tamarind bannock sandwich, and everything in between. And the sandwich names were just as creative including: Chuck Norris Sandwich, Maple Bacon “Kimcheese” Sandwich, Mulvey Mouthful, Turkey from the Black Forest Ham Sandwich and Forever Bacon.
In addition to the People’s Choice winner, a Winner and a Runner-up team will be decided by a panel of judges:
- Sharon Blady, Minister, Healthy Living and Seniors
- Keith Muller, Dean, Red River College’s School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts
- Ace Burpee, Morning Show Host, Virgin103 and Nourishing Potential Committee Member
- Nicole Dubé, Social Media Reporter, CTV Morning Live
- Susan Millican, Board Chair, The Winnipeg Foundation
Prizes for the winning teams include:
- Three, $500 grants to support healthy food at a school or community organization.
- Five Junior Master Chef Culinary Adventures at Red River College’s (RRC) School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts.
- the winning sandwich recipe will be featured at RRC’s Culinary Exchange restaurant.
- Freggie hats and aprons.
Why is the Foundation spearheading this initiative? Sometimes a sandwich isn’t just a sandwich – it’s a building block for a brighter future. Since 2011, the Foundation’s Nourishing Potential Fund has helped children and youth in after-school and drop-in programs access healthy food, nutrition education and cooking skills needed to grow and thrive. The Recipe for Success contest is being held in support of Nourishing Potential.
Visit wpgfdn.org/recipe-for-success for complete details.