Fast Pitch Winnipeg kicked off its 2016 season on Thursday with its first event: an orientation where coaches and charitable sector leaders met for the first time in a fast-paced speed dating-style format.
River City 360 went on location to get reactions from the participants and to learn more about the community competition from coordinator Jennifer Partridge, Strategic Projects Associate at The Winnipeg Foundation.
You can listen to the program in full using the player below:
Or listen to a particular segment by clicking the time link next to its description:
- 3:58 – RC360 asks charitable sector leaders Hope McIntyre (Sarasvati Productions) and Jamil Mahmood (Spence Neighbourhood Assocation), as well as coaches Justin Phillips (Sycamore Energy) and Dan Yurkiw (Manitoba Hydro) what their impressions are of the first Fast Pitch event.
- 7:19 – Jennifer Partridge, Strategic Projects Associate at The Winnipeg Foundation, discusses why the Fast Pitch initiative was launched by The Winnipeg Foundation and what we can expect as the community competition progresses.
- 13:33 – Co-host Nolan Bicknell sits down with Karen Koroma, Secretary, Treasurer and Program Director of Sierra Leone Refugee Resettlement, to find out about how the organization works to welcome newcomers to Winnipeg and provide educational opportunities for children.
- 22:31 – Samantha Samson, a 2nd year journalism student at Red River College and citizen reporter at CNC, joins Nolan in studio to talk about the launch of Meta Medicine, a new video series about alternative medicine in Winnipeg.
- 32:40 – Noah Erenberg, Convener of Community News Commons, joins us to discuss the latest stories written by citizen journalists on CNC, including:
What are your thoughts about this week’s program? We’d love to hear your feedback! Email us at email@example.com or leave a message on our listener line at (204) 944-9474 ext. 360.
River City 360 is a weekly radio program hosted by Nolan Bicknell and Robert Zirk that highlights the people and organizations working to make Winnipeg a better place, along with music and community event updates. Tune in Sunday mornings at 8:15 a.m. on 93.7 CJNU-FM or subscribe to the podcast via iTunes. River City 360 is a project of The Winnipeg Foundation, in partnership with Community News Commons and 93.7 CJNU-FM.